Apply on the basis of your private life
You can only apply on the basis of your private life if you’re already living in the UK.
You must be able to prove that you’re:
- under 18 and you’ve lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would be unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK
- between 18 and 24 and you’ve lived continuously in the UK for more than half your life
- 18 or over, have spent less than 20 years in the UK and would have very significant problems living in the country you’d have to go to - for example, you do not speak the language and could not learn it
- 25 or over and you’ve been in the UK continuously for 20 years
Your family members can apply on the same application - you’ll be considered separately.
How to apply
You must apply online.
You’ll need to prepare information and documents to provide with your application.
If you cannot pay the application fee
Fill in the online fee waiver request form as well if you cannot afford to pay the fee because you:
- do not have a place to live and you cannot afford one
- have a place to live but cannot afford your essential living costs like food or heating
- have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made