Apply on the basis of your private life
You can only apply on the basis of your private life if you’re already living in the UK.
You must be able to prove that you’re:
- under 18 and you’ve lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would be unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK
- between 18 and 24 and you’ve lived continuously in the UK for more than half your life
- 18 or over, have spent less than 20 years in the UK and would have very significant problems living in the country you’d have to go to - for example, you do not speak the language and could not learn it
- 25 or over and you’ve been in the UK continuously for 20 years
Your family members can apply on the same application - you’ll be considered separately.
How to apply
You can apply either:
To apply by post, fill in the form FLR(FP).
To apply in person either:
- fill in the form and book an appointment
- make an online application and book an appointment
You’ll need to prepare information and send documents with your application.
Get help completing the online form
You can get help completing the online form if you do not feel confident using a computer or do not have access to one.
You cannot get immigration advice through this service.
If you cannot pay the application fee
You must apply by post and fill in appendix 1 FLR(FP) FLR(O) if you cannot pay the fee because you:
- do not have a place to live and you cannot afford one
- have a place to live but cannot afford your essential living costs like food or heating
- have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing