6. Apply on the basis of your private life

You can only apply on the basis of your private life if you’re already living in the UK.

You must be able to prove that you’re:

  • under 18 and you’ve lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years, and it would be unreasonable to expect you to leave the UK
  • between 18 and 24 and you’ve lived continuously in the UK for more than half your life
  • 18 or over, have spent less than 20 years in the UK and would have very significant problems living in the country you’d have to go to - for example, you don’t speak the language and couldn’t learn it
  • 25 or over and you’ve been in the UK continuously for 20 years

Your family members can apply on the same application - you’ll be considered separately.

How to apply

You can apply either:

To apply by post, fill in the form FLR(FP).

To apply in person either:

  • fill in the form and book an appointment
  • make an online application and book an appointment

You’ll need to prepare information and send documents with your application.

Get help completing the online form

You can get help completing the online form if you don’t feel confident using a computer or don’t have access to one.

You can’t get immigration advice through this service.

Help completing the online form
Text: ‘VISA’ to 07537 416 944
Telephone: 03333 445 675
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

If you can’t pay the application fee

You must apply by post and fill in appendix 1 FLR(FP) FLR(O) if you can’t pay the fee because you:

  • don’t have a place to live and you can’t afford one
  • have a place to live but can’t afford your essential living costs like food or heating
  • have a very low income and paying the fee would harm your child’s wellbeing