Apply as an adult coming to be cared for by a relative
You must be outside the UK to apply and need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.
One of the following must also apply to the relative:
- they’re a British citizen
- they’ve settled in the UK (they have ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or proof of permanent residence)
- they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
You must prove all of the following:
- you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
- the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
- the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
- you’re 18 or over
How long you can stay for
Your stay will be:
- unlimited if you applied to join a family member who’s British or settled in the UK - you will not need to apply to extend or settle
- as long as your family member’s stay if they have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK - you’ll need to apply to extend or settle when they do
How to apply
You’ll need to prepare information and send documents with your application.
There’s a different way to apply in North Korea.
Apply to extend your stay
Apply online to extend your stay in the UK.