Make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road, eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land.

You must pay vehicle tax if you use your vehicle on public roads.

Apply using the new service beta

This is a 'beta' service - find out what this means for you.

To apply online you'll need either:

  • the 16 digit reference number on your vehicle tax renewal letter (V11)
  • the 11 digit reference number on your log book (V5C)

Other ways to apply

By phone

  • Telephone: 0300 123 4321

Calls to 03 numbers cost approximately:

  • 2p to 10p from landlines
  • 10p to 40p from mobile phones

Find out more about call charges

By post

Send your SORN application (form V890) to DVLA. If you're going abroad and leaving your car in the UK you can make a SORN up to 2 calendar months in advance by post. Include a letter explaining why.

SA99 1AR

You must make a SORN by post if you’re:

  • recently registered as the vehicle’s keeper and have received the V5C registration certificate in the current month
  • not yet registered as the vehicle’s keeper

If the vehicle is not already registered in your name, please fill in the appropriate part of the V5C and send it with the V890 SORN form.

If you don’t have the V5C, fill in form V62 (there’s a fee) and send it with your SORN application.

Find out how this service is performing