News story

Vehicle tax disc abolished: changes you need to know

When you tax your vehicle, you won't get a tax disc.

You can tax or SORN your vehicle using your:

  • vehicle tax reminder letter (V11 or V85/1)

  • V5C registration certificate (log book) if the vehicle is registered in your name

  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you’ve just bought the vehicle or the vehicle isn’t registered in your name

Tell DVLA you’ve sold a vehicle

If you’ve sold a vehicle, you can tell DVLA online.

The tax or SORN isn’t passed on when you sell a vehicle or transfer ownership to someone else. This includes giving it to a member of your family.

Buying a vehicle

When you buy a vehicle, the tax or SORN doesn’t come with it. You’ll need to get new vehicle tax before using the vehicle.

You’ll need the reference number on your new keeper supplement (V5C/2).

You can also tax at your local Post Office® or by calling:

Telephone: 0300 123 4321

Cancel vehicle tax and get a refund

Your vehicle tax is cancelled and you automatically get a refund when you tell DVLA that your vehicle has been:

Change the address on your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book)

You should change the address on your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) when you move.

Paying vehicle tax by Direct Debit

You can pay for your vehicle tax by Direct Debit.

Check a vehicle is taxed or has an MOT

You can check if a vehicle is taxed or whether it has an MOT certificate.