When you tax your vehicle, you won't get a tax disc.
vehicle tax reminder letter (V11 or V85/1)
V5C registration certificate (log book) if the vehicle is registered in your name
new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you’ve just bought the vehicle or the vehicle isn’t registered in your name
Tell DVLA you’ve sold a vehicle
If you’ve sold a vehicle, you can tell DVLA online.
The tax or SORN isn’t passed on when you sell a vehicle or transfer ownership to someone else. This includes giving it to a member of your family.
Buying a vehicle
When you buy a vehicle, the tax or SORN doesn’t come with it. You’ll need to get new vehicle tax before using the vehicle.
You’ll need the reference number on your new keeper supplement (V5C/2).
You can also tax at your local Post Office® or by calling:
Telephone: 0300 123 4321
Cancel vehicle tax and get a refund
Your vehicle tax is cancelled and you automatically get a refund when you tell DVLA that your vehicle has been:
- sold or transferred
- taken off the road and you’ve made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)
- scrapped at an authorised treatment facility
- changed so it’s exempt from vehicle tax
Change the address on your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book)
You should change the address on your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) when you move.
Paying vehicle tax by Direct Debit
Check a vehicle is taxed or has an MOT
Published: 24 February 2014
Updated: 19 November 2014
- Note added under vehicle tax refunds.
- Direct Debit - advice added for accounts that require dual signatories
- Change to the 'How to check if a vehicle is taxed' section.
- Image of a destroyed tax disc added
- Buying a vehicle image added
- Update to the selling a vehicle text.
- Update to information for Northern Ireland customers and driving a vehicle abroad.
- Added new video
- information added about removing tax discs after the 1 October.
- Sentence added - Customers with a Northern Ireland address will still need to display their MoT disc.
- Information about the Direct Debit scheme added
- New information added regarding the changes to vehicle tax
- First published.