Studying in the European Union after Brexit

Advice for students and citizens who want to study higher education in any European Union (EU) country after the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019.

Students, school leavers and UK residents who are thinking about studying in the EU should consider the following advice to work out the best option for them.


Erasmus+ is the EU funding programme for education, youth, training and sport.

Students can use the scheme to enable them to study, volunteer and gain work experience abroad, helping them to:

  • develop new skills
  • gain experience abroad
  • boost their employability

You need to apply for a placement via your home institution, who will be able to talk you through your options.

The draft EU Withdrawal Agreement means that students in UK-based organisations will be able to continue to participate in Erasmus+ exchanges and placements post-exit until the end of the current Erasmus+ programme in December 2020.

In the event of ‘no deal’, the government underwrite guarantee already made (13 August 2016) still stands and successful Erasmus+ bids that are submitted and approved while the UK is still a Member State will continue beyond the point of exit.

For more information read the government technical notice on UK participation in Erasmus+ if there is no Brexit deal.

If you are currently on an Erasmus+ placement, or scheduled to begin your placement this academic year, please contact your home institution for more information.

You can also find the most up-to-date information on the UK Erasmus+ National Agency website.

Other options for study abroad

There are other schemes available for people who would like to study overseas, including those run by individual higher education providers.

Speak to your home institution to find out which ones you are eligible for and get more information.

If you are considering applying to a higher education course abroad read the FCO ‘Living in’ guide for the country where you would like to study before making an application.

You should also contact your prospective course provider for up-to-date advice on course content and your eligibility to study with them.

Student funding

Currently, Student Finance England does not provide support for students studying a higher education course provided abroad.

This will not change after the UK leaves the EU.

Funding for studying a course abroad will be different depending on which country you are planning to go to. You may be able to apply for a scholarship or funding from the organisation you attend.

Ask their admissions office about any relevant funding scheme or bursaries before applying to a course.

If you normally live in England, are enrolled on a designated course here and are studying abroad for a year as part of that course, you may be eligible for a maintenance loan and a grant to cover some of your travel expenses.

If you normally live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland find out what funding may be available to you:

Help and advice

UCAS - Information on studying overseas and how to apply

The Scholarship hub - Finding scholarships in the UK and abroad

British Council - Information on options for studying overseas

Universities UK - Information on international study programmes linked with UK universities

Prospects - Information about types of scholarships available

NARIC - Information on the recognition and comparison of international qualifications and skills.

Published 20 December 2018