Financial assistance abroad

Guidance on what you can do and who you can contact if you need financial help abroad.



This Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) guide sets out some options for you to consider if you need financial assistance while abroad, with contact information for some organisations that may be able to help. It also provides an overview of the UK government emergency loan available as a last resort to people who cannot return to the UK due to coronavirus (COVID-19).

The FCDO cannot provide financial assistance except in the emergency situations outlined above and cannot pay your bills. You should have comprehensive travel insurance, if you do not, you will be liable for any costs abroad.

Published 19 September 2019
Last updated 30 October 2020 + show all updates
  1. Updated information on emergency loans for British nationals to return to the UK

  2. Updated to reflect changes in how to apply for an emergency loan if you’re abroad and in need due to coronavirus restrictions

  3. Updated to include new emergency living costs loans available to those in need during the coronavirus pandemic

  4. Updated advice on financial assistance if you are abroad during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

  5. First published.