Find out how to create or sign in to an agent services account to use new HMRC online services on behalf of your clients.
Why you should create an account
As a professional tax agent firm you need an agent services account to access new HMRC online services and use software to communicate directly with HMRC.
You can use it to act on behalf of your clients to:
- send Income Tax updates as part of HMRC’s Making Tax Digital pilot
- register a trust online
- register an estate online for someone who has died
This list will be updated as more online services become available.
How to create or sign in to an account
To create an agent services account you need to log in to the Government Gateway using any of the credentials you currently use to access other HMRC online services for agents.
You need to be the person responsible for your agent firm’s tax or administrative matters. The account gives you administrative control over your agent firm accessing new HMRC online services.
You’ll get a new agent Government Gateway ID when you create an agent services account. You’ll need this ID to access new HMRC online services even if you already use a different one for other activities.
Before you start
- your agent firm’s Self Assessment or Corporation Tax Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
- the postcode associated with that reference
Link clients to your new account
To send Income Tax updates on behalf of your clients, you’ll need to link them to your new account.
To do this:
- link each of your agent Government Gateway IDs to the account - this will link all your existing clients connected with each ID
- invite additional clients one by one - this will link new clients, and existing clients who’ve not yet signed up to use an HMRC online service
You may need to do both of these, depending on the circumstances.
Other HMRC online services
Continue to use your software or other Government Gateway IDs to:
- manage your client lists
- access other HMRC online services (which you cannot use with your agent services account)
- use the agent services dashboard (previously known as Agent Online Self Service)