Create an agent services account for your tax agent firm to use certain HMRC services.
Your tax agent firm can use an agent services account to get automatic access to:
This is different to your HMRC online services for agents account. Eventually, you’ll be able to access all agent services with an agent services account.
Who should create an account
You must be the person responsible for your firm’s tax or administrative matters.
You can only create an agent services account if your business has either:
- registered with a money laundering supervisory body
- applied to register for money laundering supervision with HMRC and not yet received the decision
Agents not registered with HMRC
If you are not already registered with HMRC as an agent and do not have existing clients within one of HMRC’s services, you’ll need to apply to HMRC as a new agent.
You do this by applying in writing to:
Central Agent Maintainer Team
National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
You’ll have to give the following information in your application:
- full name
- trading name (if different)
- address that your activities are carried out from (this cannot be a PO Box address)
- telephone number
- email address
- supervisor for the purposes of The Money Laundering Terrorist Financing and Transfer of Funds Regulation 2017 - details of Professional Body membership or Anti Money Laundering Supervision registration number
- Self Assessment or company Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number
- details of which taxes you plan to deal with
Your application will be rejected if you do not give this information, or if HMRC is not satisfied with the information you provide. HMRC will tell you if your application has been successful within 28 days.
Agents based outside the UK
There’s a different way to apply for an agent services account if you’re not based in the UK.
What you’ll need
- the UTR for your tax agent firm
- the Government Gateway user ID and password you use to access HMRC online services for agents
- the postcode associated with your UTR
You will also need your money laundering supervisory body details, including:
- your supervisory body’s name
- your membership number
- the date your membership needs to be renewed
Create an account
Sign in using the Government Gateway user ID and password you use to access HMRC online services for agents.
Check if there are any problems with this service.
After you create an account
You’ll have 2 Government Gateway user IDs:
You’ll need to:
- copy existing clients or authorise new ones on your agent services account
- sign your clients up for Making Tax Digital for VAT
If you need help, you can:
- follow the agent step by step for Making Tax Digital
- watch a video to see how to create an agent services account
- call the VAT online services helpline for help with Making Tax Digital for VAT
- call the HMRC Self Assessment online services helpline for help with Making Tax Digital for Income Tax