Follow these steps if you’re an agent and your clients need to follow the rules for Making Tax Digital for VAT.
1. Talk to your clients
Use the communications pack to make your clients aware of what Making Tax Digital is and what they need to do.
2. Get the right software
Before you sign clients up, you must have software that:
- lets you submit returns for your clients
- is compatible with Making Tax Digital for VAT
3. Create an agent services account
This is different to your HMRC online services for agents account.
4. Link clients to your agent services account
You can link your clients or add new ones.
5. Sign your clients up for Making Tax Digital
Sign clients up for Making Tax Digital for VAT at least one week before their VAT Return is due.
You’ll receive an email within 72 hours to confirm that you can submit your clients’ returns digitally.
6. Authorise your software
Before you can send VAT returns digitally, you’ll need to authorise your software.
Ask your software supplier if you do not know how.