Council Tax band changes

The circumstances when your Council Tax band might change, including alterations and similar properties in the area being rebanded.

Council Tax bands are set according to the value the property would have sold for on 1 April 1991 in England and 1 April 2003 in Wales.

Alterations to your property

Your property may be moved to a higher or lower band because its size or internal structure has been altered. Your property may have been:

  • increased in size
  • decreased in size, such as partly demolished
  • changed in some other way, for example divided into flats or smaller self-contained units, or converted into a single property

A property that’s increased in size may move to a higher band when it’s next purchased.

Rebanding of similar properties nearby

Your property band may also change following the rebanding of one or more properties of a similar size, type and construction in the immediate area of your property.

You may also find out from your solicitor that the Council Tax band of a property you’re buying is likely to change.

A change in your Council Tax band means the amount of Council Tax you pay to your local authority will also change.

When the band changes without a sale

The band can change without a sale in some situations. For example, on the creation of a self-contained annexe. A sale may not involve a change of occupier, for example when a property has a long lease and the ground rent is purchased.

You’ll have to pay any increase from the date the Council Tax list is changed.

What to do if your property band is changing

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) will send you a letter if your Council Tax band changes. You don’t need to do anything.

Your local authority deals with Council Tax bills.

You can appeal your Council Tax band within 6 months of the VOA telling you about the change.

Published 22 January 2016
Last updated 28 January 2020 + show all updates
  1. Added Welsh translation.

  2. First published.