Start paying Council Tax

How to set up a new Council Tax account on a property you have recently moved into.

If you’re an adult and not in full-time education, or covered by another exemption or relief, you must pay Council Tax.

Council Tax is paid to the local authority (council) for the area where you live.

To pay Council Tax, contact your local council. They’ll register you and send you a Council Tax bill. They’ll also tell you how and when to pay.

If you move to a new property or to a new area, tell your local council or tell the council for the new area you’ve moved to.

If the property you’ve moved into doesn’t have a Council Tax band, you’ll need to contact your local council. They’ll arrange for your property to be assessed.

Search for your local council.

Published 22 January 2016