Theory tests are taking place in England, Scotland and Wales - find out what changes to expect because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Stay up to date
This page tells you about theory tests during the COVID-19 pandemic.
It will be updated if anything changes.
There’s different guidance about driving tests.
Check if theory tests are taking place
Theory tests are taking place in England, Scotland and Wales.
Booking your theory test
You can book your theory test online.
You can use the service to change your theory test appointment to look for earlier appointments after you’ve booked your test.
If you cannot wear a face covering during your test
When you book your theory test, you need to say if there’s a good reason you cannot wear a face covering when you take your test. This includes if:
- you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering
- putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
When you must not go to your test
You must not go to your theory test if:
- you or someone you live with has COVID-19 symptoms
- you’ve been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app
- you’re quarantining because you recently entered the UK
When you come for your theory test
You have to come into the test centre alone. This is to help with social distancing.
You must bring and wear a face covering for your test, unless you have a good reason not to.
Your test will be cancelled if you come without a face covering but you did not declare you could not wear one.
You will need to remove your face covering so the test centre staff can check your ID.
In England and Wales, you will be at least 1 metre apart from other people.
In Scotland, you will be at least 2 metres apart from other people.
To keep you safe, test centres are:
- doing extra cleaning
- using protective transparent screens at the reception desk
- providing hand sanitiser for you to use when you arrive at the test centre, during your test and when you leave
- cleaning workstations (including computers and headphones) before every test
Staff will wear a face covering (unless there’s a medical reason that it’s not recommended for them) and gloves.
If your theory test certificate expires
Your theory test pass certificate lasts for 2 years. You must pass your driving test in that time.
Your theory test certificate will not be extended because of COVID-19.
This is because your road safety knowledge and hazard perception skills need to be up to date when you’re taking driving lessons and when you take your driving test.
If your theory test certificate expires, you will need to take and pass a theory test again.
Check the guides about the theory test for:
Contact DVSA to get help with your theory test if you cannot find the answer to your question.