Find out how theory tests are affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) and what changes to expect when you take your theory test.
Stay up to date
This page tells you about theory tests during coronavirus (COVID-19).
It will be updated if anything changes.
There’s different guidance about driving tests.
Check if theory tests are taking place
Theory tests are suspended in England because of the national lockdown.
Theory tests are suspended in Scotland because of the temporary lockdown.
Theory tests are suspended in Wales because it’s in alert level 4.
If your theory test is affected
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) will contact you if your test is affected by local restrictions and tell you what you need to do.
Keeping you safe at the test centre
In England and Wales, you will be at least 1 metre apart from other people.
In Scotland, you will be at least 2 metres apart from other people.
To keep you safe, test centres are:
- doing extra cleaning
- using protective transparent screens at the reception desk
- providing hand sanitiser for you to use when you arrive at the test centre, during your test and when you leave
- cleaning workstations (including computers and headphones) before every test
Staff will wear a face covering (unless there’s a medical reason that it’s not recommended for them) and gloves.
You have to come into the test centre alone. This is to help with social distancing.
Wearing a face covering
You must bring and wear a face covering for your test, unless you have a good reason not to. Good reasons are things like:
- having a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability
- wearing it would cause you severe distress
You need to say if you have a good reason not to wear a face covering when you book your test.
Your test will be cancelled if you come for your test without a face covering and you did not say that you could not wear one when you booked it.
Checking your ID
You will need to remove your face covering so the test centre staff can check your ID.
When you must not go to your test
Do not go to your theory test if:
- you or someone you live with has coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms
- you’ve been told by the NHS Test and Trace service that you’ve been in contact with a person who has coronavirus
- you’re self-isolating because you recently entered the UK