Book your theory test
Book your driving theory test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches, including the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 1a and 1b (theory) and part 2 (case studies)
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
You can choose whether or not to wear a face covering at your test.
Book a test online
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- email address
- credit or debit card
Before you start
You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your theory or driving test.
Car and motorcycle tests cost £23.
Lorry and bus tests cost:
- part 1a (multiple-choice questions) - £26
- part 1b (hazard perception) - £11
- part 2 (case studies) - £23
When you book your test, say if you have a reading difficulty, health condition or disability.
When you do not need a theory test
You do not need to take a theory test before you book a driving test to upgrade:
- an automatic car licence to a manual car licence
- from category A1 (small motorcycle) to category A2 (medium motorcycle) if you’ve had the licence for at least 2 years
- from category C1 (medium vehicles) to category C (large vehicles) unless you got your C1 entitlement from passing a car driving test
- from category D1 (minibus) to category D (bus)
- any licence to be able to tow a trailer
You do not need to take a theory test before you book a:
Help with your booking
Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to get help booking your theory test.
DVSA theory test enquiries
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
There’s a different service to book your theory test in Northern Ireland.