Book your driving theory test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches, including the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 1a and 1b (theory) and part 2 (case studies)
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
Start now on the theory test booking service
Before you start
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- email address - you have to book by phone if you don’t have one
- credit or debit card
Car and motorcycle tests cost £23.
Lorry and bus tests cost:
- part 1a (multiple-choice questions) - £26
- part 1b (hazard perception) - £11
- part 2 (case studies) - £23
When you book your test, say if you have a reading difficulty, health condition or disability.
When you don’t need a theory test
You don’t need to take a theory test before you book a driving test to upgrade:
- an automatic car licence to a manual car licence
- from category A1 (small motorcycle) to category A2 (medium motorcycle) if you’ve had the licence for at least 2 years
- from category C1 (medium vehicles) to category C (large vehicles) unless you got your C1 entitlement from passing a car driving test
- from category D1 (minibus) to category D (bus)
- any licence to be able to tow a trailer
You don’t need to take a theory test before you book a:
Help with your booking
Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to get help booking your theory test, or book if you don’t have an email address.
There’s a different service to book your theory test in Northern Ireland.