Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The government is removing the option to take a driving test in any language other than English, Welsh or British sign language.
From 7 April 2014 you won’t be allowed to:
- take a theory test with a foreign language voiceover
- use a foreign language interpreter for your theory or practical test
The Driving Standards Agency (DSA) wants to know your views on removing the language support given to some driving test candidates.
At the moment, learner drivers and riders can:
- take a theory test with a voiceover in 1 of 19 languages, other than English or Welsh
- bring an interpreter with them when they take their theory and practical driving tests
DSA wants to know your views on:
- options for changing the current level of language support
- how much notice should be given before making a change
- how best to avoid an increase in unlicensed driving