Reply to a HMRC tax credits check

Send information to HMRC if you’ve had a tax credits check letter.


Send information online (sign in using Government Gateway)


Only use the online form if HMRC has written to you asking for information relating to a tax credit check.

Before you can use the online form

To send the information online, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one before you send the information.

You’ll also need the:

  • letter code that HMRC has given you in their letter
  • evidence HMRC has asked for

What you can send online

You can submit up to 5 different JPG, JPEG or PDF files that contain the information HMRC has asked for with the form. They must each be less than 4.5MB in size and not be password protected.

You’ll get a reference number after you’ve submitted the form that you can use to track its progress.

You can use the form more than once if:

  • you’ve already responded to a tax credit check and need to send more information
  • you need to send more than 5 files

You’ll get a different reference number every time you use the form.

If you cannot use the online form

You can send HMRC a letter with the information they have requested if you cannot use the online form. Post the information to:

Tax Credit Office - Operations C
HM Revenue and Customs

Published 21 April 2017