The government’s initial preferences for the high speed rail route to Leeds, Manchester and beyond for phase two of the HS2 project.
This document sets out the government’s initial preferences for phase two of HS2, extending the route north of Birmingham to Manchester and Leeds.
HS2 is a once in-a-generation opportunity to transform Britain’s connectivity, capacity and competitiveness. It will be a national asset, slashing journey times and improving services between our cities and regions. It will also free up substantial space on the existing railway. The publication of this document is a vital milestone in the delivery of the project.
Part I of this document sets out more of the background to the HS2 project. It describes in greater detail the role that high speed rail has to play in meeting the future transport and economic needs of this country.
Part 2 moves on to discuss the detail of the government’s initial preferred route, station and depot options for phase two. It looks at the western and eastern sections in turn, summarising each of the initial preferred route and station options. It also includes more details on how high speed trains would be able to continue to destinations such as Liverpool, Runcorn, Wigan, Durham, Newcastle, Glasgow and Edinburgh through connections with the existing rail network. It then explains the government’s position on Heathrow.
Part 3 covers the next steps for the project. The government has an extensive programme of collaboration and partnership working with key stakeholders to take the initial options presented in this document forward.
HS2 phase two initial preferred route
- High speed rail: investing in Britain’s future phase two - the route to Leeds, Manchester and beyond summary
- HS2 phase two initial preferred scheme sustainability summary
- HS2 phase two initial preferred route plan and profile maps
HS2 phase two consultation
HS2 Ltd advice to government on phase two of HS2
- Options for phase two of the high speed rail network
- Options for phase two of the high speed rail network appraisal of sustainability
- Record of stakeholder engagement for phase two of the high speed rail network
- HS2 cost and risk model report
- Options for phase two of the high speed rail network approach to design
- HS2 phase two engineering options report West Midlands to Manchester
- HS2 phase two engineering options report West Midlands to Leeds
- HS2 phase two engineering options report Heathrow
- Selecting an initial preferred scheme for HS2 phase two refinement work since March 2012
- Updated economic case for HS2 (August 2012) explanation of the service patterns
Delivery partner reports to government on phase two of HS2
- From rail town to high speed rail city: a vision for Crewe
- Economic impact of HS2 to Derby summary report
- Maximising the economic impact of HS2 investment in Sheffield