Maps of the government's initial preferred route in January 2013 for Phase Two of HS2 from the West Midlands to Leeds and Manchester.
About the maps
This set of maps provides a detailed depiction of the the government’s initial preferred route for HS2 Phase Two West Midlands to Leeds and Manchester line of route, as published on 28 January 2013. Maps released as part of the July 2013 HS2 Phase Two consultation on the proposed line of route from the West Midlands to Manchester, Leeds and beyond have been published separately.
The overall route is shown on the two route maps: ‘Route map West Midlands to Leeds’ and ‘Route map West Midlands to Manchester’. The route maps also illustrate how the route has been split into route sections and gives the section reference number for each section.
Line of route plan and profile maps
The plan and profile maps show the specific line of the route on Ordnance Survey mapping background. The bottom portion of each map depicts the profile of the line in relation to the ground - for example, showing where the line is in a cutting or on an embankment, bridge or viaduct. They also show indicative road diversions and junction layouts.
The plan and profile maps are organised by route section, and each section has a key map showing the extent covered by the plan and profile maps. The scale used for each map is shown on the map and varies depending on rural or urban location.
Route map West Midlands to Leeds
Plan of the initial preferred route from the West Midlands to Leeds showing which route section covers which area.
Route section HSL01 Water Orton to Birchmoor
Route section HSL06 Birchmoor to Tonge
Route section HSL09 Tonge to Long Eaton
Route section HSL12/27 Long Eaton to Trowell
Route section HSL13 Trowell to Killamarsh
Route section HSL14 Killamarsh to Tinsley
Route section HSL15 Tinsley to Blackburn
Route section HSL16 Blackburn to Cold Hiendley
Route section HSL17 Cold Hiendley to Church Fenton
Route section HSL21 Cold Hiendley to Woodlesford
Route section HSL22 and HSL31 Woodlesford to Hunslet and Hunslet to Leeds New Lane Station
Route map West Midlands to Manchester
Plan of the initial preferred route from the West Midlands to Manchester showing which route section covers which area.
Route section HSM03 Streethay to Swynnerton
Route section HSM06 Swynnerton to Madeley
Route section HSM08 Madeley to Hough
Route section HSM09 Hough to Crewe
Route section HSM10 Hough to Winterbottom
Route section HSM12 Winterbottom to Warburton
Route section HSM21 Warburton to Lowton
Route section HSM22 Lowton to Bamfurlong
Route section HSM28 Winterbottom to Ardwick
Route section HSM26 Ardwick to Manchester Piccadilly Station
Route section HSM30 Rostherne to Warburton
HS2 Phase Two initial preferred route
- High speed rail: investing in Britain’s future Phase Two - the route to Leeds, Manchester and beyond
- High speed rail: investing in Britain’s future Phase Two - the route to Leeds, Manchester and beyond summary
- HS2 Phase Two initial preferred scheme sustainability summary
HS2 Phase Two consultation
HS2 Ltd advice to government on Phase Two of HS2
- Options for Phase Two of the high speed rail network
- Options for Phase Two of the high speed rail network appraisal of sustainability
- Record of stakeholder engagement for Phase Two of the high speed rail network
- HS2 cost and risk model report
- Options for Phase Two of the high speed rail network approach to design
- HS2 Phase Two engineering options report West Midlands to Manchester
- HS2 Phase Two engineering options report West Midlands to Leeds
- HS2 Phase Two engineering options report Heathrow
- Selecting an initial preferred scheme for HS2 Phase Two refinement work since March 2012
- Updated economic case for HS2 (August 2012) explanation of the service patterns
Delivery partner reports to government on Phase Two of HS2
- From rail town to high speed rail city: a vision for Crewe
- Economic impact of HS2 to Derby summary report
- Maximising the economic impact of HS2 investment in Sheffield