Working with businesses and people to reduce the need to travel
This was archived on 18 November 2014
We no longer proactively work on ‘alternatives to travel’.
‘Alternatives to travel’ are methods for reducing or removing the need to travel through the use of information and communications technologies and flexible working. This could include:
- working from home
- working from a work hub or office closer to home
- staggering working hours to avoid travelling during peak times.
There are a range of benefits associated with alternatives to travel:
- economic - increased staff productivity, reduced travel and office costs, improved staff retention, reduced absenteeism
- environmental - reduced transport emissions
- social - improved quality of life and work/life balance
- Alternatives to travel in the public sector
- Next steps on alternatives to travel, 17 November 2011
- Alternatives to travel: a call for evidence - summary of responses, 17 November 2011
- Alternatives to travel: a call for evidence, 5 April 2011