Private hire vehicle operator licence outside London

You need to get a PHV operator licence from your local authority if you want to run a business as a private hire vehicle (PHV) operator.

You’ll also need driver and vehicle licences if you’re working as a one-person operator.

Find out what you need in your area by visiting your local council.

Validity of licence

PHV operator licences last for a maximum of 5 years, driver licences for up to 3 years and vehicle licences for up to 1 year.

The driver, vehicle and operator must all be licensed by the same authority.

If your licence application is refused

Your operator licence can be refused if the authority is not satisfied you meet its criteria of a ‘fit and proper person’, or if you don’t accept the conditions it sets.

You can appeal to a magistrates’ court if:

  • your application has been refused
  • the licensing authority has suspended, taken away or refused to renew your licence

Magistrates’ courts in England and Wales.