Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. We inspect and regulate services that care for children and young people, and services providing education and skills for learners of all ages.
Every week, we carry out hundreds of inspections and regulatory visits throughout England and publish the results online.
Our goal is to achieve excellence in education and skills for learners of all ages, and in the care of children and young people.
We report directly to Parliament and we are independent and impartial.
Who we are
We have around 1,500 employees across our 8 regions:
- East Midlands
- East of England
- North East, Yorkshire and Humber
- North West
- South East
- South West
- West Midlands
We also directly contract with more than 1,500 Ofsted Inspectors to carry out inspections of schools and further education and skills provision.
Ofsted is a member of the National Preventive Mechanism, which monitors and reports on places of detention.
We’re responsible for:
- inspecting maintained schools and academies, some independent schools, and many other educational institutions and programmes outside of higher education
- inspecting childcare, adoption and fostering agencies and initial teacher training
- publishing reports of our findings so they can be used to improve the overall quality of education and training
- regulating a range of early years and children’s social care services, making sure they’re suitable for children and potentially vulnerable young people
- reporting to policymakers on the effectiveness of these services
From 2017 we will ensure that:
- all of our work is evidence-led
- our evaluation tools and frameworks are valid and reliable
- our frameworks are fair
- we aim to reduce inspection burdens and make our expectations and findings clear
- we target our time and resources where they can lead directly to improvement
Access our information
- Research at Ofsted
- Equality and diversity
- Our governance
- Statistics at Ofsted
- Media enquiries
- Complaints procedure
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.