Working for Ofsted

The recruitment process, workplace benefits, holiday and leave, pay, pension and conditions at Ofsted.

Ofsted employs staff in a wide range of jobs – from inspectors to editors, IT specialists, policy advisers, data analysts, accountants and administrators – based in its main offices in London, Bristol, Manchester and Nottingham, its small offices in Cambridge, Birmingham and York, and working from home.


For most job opportunities, visit the Civil Service jobs site. If you want to become an inspector for Ofsted, see the final section on this page.


To apply for a job at Ofsted you need to be one of the following:

  • a UK national or a UK national with dual nationality
  • a Commonwealth citizen
  • a national of any member state of the European Economic Area

Many job vacancies also have specific requirements for application. See each job’s description for further details.

How to apply

Apply for a listed job at Ofsted using the application form and equalities monitoring form.

If you’re already a civil servant you might also need to submit your line manager’s assessment form, depending on the job you’re applying for.

How to become an inspector

Her Majesty’s Inspector (HMI)

Her Majesty’s Inspectors (HMI) inspect education and care providers, challenge them to improve and help them get the support they need. Vacancies for HMI are normally advertised on a permanent, full-time basis. For more information about the role and to register your interest in future vacancies, please visit the dedicated HMI website.

Contracting as an Ofsted inspector

From September 2015, Ofsted will directly contract with inspectors for the inspection of education and further education and skills. These contracted roles will be offered on the basis of a minimum of 16 days’ inspection per year for serving practitioners and 32 days’ inspection per year for non-serving practitioners.

For more information about the role and to register your interest in future opportunities, please visit the dedicated Ofsted Inspector site. If it is your first visit to the site, please use the ‘Create new account’ tab to set up your account.

Regulatory inspectors

Regulatory inspectors (social care and early childhood) inspect children’s homes, boarding schools, day care and childminding. Vacancies for these positions can be found on the Civil Service jobs site.

Early Years inspectors

Early Years inspectors work through 2 ISPs on both an employed and freelance basis. The ISPs are responsible for selection and training: