Child Benefit: general enquiries


Ask HMRC online

Ask HMRC’s digital assistant to find information about:

  • claiming Child Benefit
  • the High Income Child Benefit Tax Charge
  • any change of circumstances for you or your child which may affect your claim

You can use the official HMRC app to manage your Child Benefit claim, including:

  • making a new claim
  • viewing payment information
  • amending your claim
  • updating your details

Report a fraudulent claim for Child Benefit

Use the online service to share information with HMRC about possible Child Benefit fraud.

Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC

Find out when you can expect to receive a reply from HMRC to a query or request you’ve made.

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.


Call HMRC if you have a question about Child Benefit and you cannot find an answer in the HMRC app.

You’ll need your National Insurance number.

HMRC can only discuss your claim with you or someone you have authorised as your representative. A partner or someone else can get general advice but they must be authorised to discuss a claim.

Before you call

The helpline uses speech recognition software, so you will be asked why you are calling HMRC. If you cannot use speech recognition software, find out how to get help from HMRC if you need extra support.

This helpline may also ask you some security questions. Make sure your personal details and address are up to date in your personal tax account or you could fail telephone security. If you do not have a personal tax account, you can set one up.

HMRC may ask if you want to add voice identification to your account. You can find out more in the Voice Identification Privacy Notice.

You can use Relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone, dial 18001 then 0300 200 3100. Find out more on the Relay UK website.

0300 200 3100

Outside UK:
+44 161 210 3086

Opening times:

Our phone line opening hours are:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm

Closed weekends and bank holidays.

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC if you have a question about Child Benefit and you cannot find an answer in the HMRC app.

HM Revenue and Customs — Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE88 1AA
United Kingdom

If you’re sending a complaint, write ‘complaint’ on the envelope.