Student finance: how to apply

4. Parent or partner support

As the parent or partner of a student you’ll usually support a student finance application if the student is applying based on their household income.

How to support an application

  1. After the student has applied you’ll be sent an email asking you to confirm your income. You can do this online.

  2. If you expect your income to drop by 15% or more, send Student Finance England a current year income assessment form.

  3. Student Finance England may ask for more details and evidence of your income or circumstances.

You can go straight to Student finance login if you already have your login details.

Evidence to support an application

You may be asked to send evidence of income and circumstances. Examples of the evidence you can use are listed below. You must only send photocopies - they won’t be returned.

Proof Examples of what can be sent
Earned income Last payslip of the tax year
Self Assessment tax return
Unearned income Statements showing interest or investments
Letter from a benefits agency showing what benefits you get
Pension statements
Income details from an accountant
Self Assessment tax return
Divorce or separation Decree Absolute
Civil partnership dissolution order
Letter from a solicitor confirming marital status
Council Tax bill showing the single occupancy discount (as evidence you’re separated)
Dependent children Usually you just need to mention these in the application

Where to send the evidence

Student Finance England

PO Box 210