About us

The British High Commission in Australia maintains and develops relations between the UK and Australia.

We represent the British government in its relations with the Australian government and present British policies to the Australian government and to Australians. We report and explain Australian policies to the British government and support British interests. We also co-ordinate the political, economic, environmental and commercial activities of the British government.

Find out more on our UK and Australia news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Australia. You can access UK government services while in Australia.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in Australia, see our Australia travel advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you’re in Canberra and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online

If you’re in Canberra and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +61 (0)2 6270 6666 / +44 1908 51 6666.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document.

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen.

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Register a same-sex marriage

While registering same-sex marriages in all our consulates around Australia was a service we once provided, due to updates in Australian legislation and the legalisation of same-sex marriages, we no longer register same-sex marriages in British consulates in Australia.

We do however still convert civil partnerships into marriages, please see below:

Convert a civil partnership into a marriage

We can convert an existing civil partnership into marriage.

You must have been living in Australia for 28 days.

You don’t have to convert your civil partnership into a marriage in the country you formed it in.

What to bring with you:

  • your original passport and your partner’s original passport
  • original civil partnership certificate
  • proof of residence, such as your driving licences, employer’s letters, or bank statements/utility bills

You must pay fees: see the list of fees.

See convert a civil partnership into a marriage for full details.

Book an appointment to convert a civil partnership in:

Brisbane Canberra Melbourne Perth Sydney

Bookings are by appointment only. Please don’t make formal arrangements until our staff have confirmed the date and time.

Notarial and documentary services

Our consulates around Australia are unable to carry out notarial acts under the Commissioner of Oaths Act 1889, and on instruction from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office in London.

This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, or the legalising of documents, please contact a notary public.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the list of fees.

We also provide services in: