If you got your civil partnership in the UK, you may be able to convert it into a marriage in some countries abroad.
You’ll get a marriage certificate, dated when your civil partnership was formed.
You can convert your civil partnership if all of the following apply:
- you’ve been living in the country for at least 28 days
- your civil partnership took place under the laws of England and Wales, or Scotland
- at least one of you is a British citizen
Countries you can convert in
Contact your nearest British embassy or consulate to find out if you’re eligible and to book an appointment. The countries you can convert in are:
Documents you’ll need
- your passport
- your partner’s passport
- proof that you’re resident in the country you’re converting in (eg an employer’s letter or bank statement)
- the original civil partnership certificate
How much it costs
- £150 to convert your civil partnership - check how to pay with the embassy or consulate in the country
- £50 for a marriage certificate, usually in the local currency