We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Croatia. We are working with Croatia as a new partner and ally within the EU on bilateral, regional and global issues.

We encourage and support Croatia’s commitment to build on its pre accession to unlock the benefits of successful EU membership. We work on increasing trade and investment opportunities and encouraging a more open investment environment. In the run-up to Croatia’s EU membership, we worked on a number of twinning projects in which British experts and institutions assisted in various aspects of Croatia’s progress towards membership.

We work with Croatia’s armed forces to share expertise, educate personnel and further develop stronger ties between the countries ensuring that Croatia is a valued and trusted partner in maintaining peace.

We also provide some services at the British Consulate Split. The Croatian Coast is proving to be more and more popular for British tourists every year - more than 400,000 British tourists visit the country every year. Consular officials assist British tourists with a wide range of issues.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in Croatia and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested, hospitalised or there has been a death), call +385 1 6009 100 and follow the instructions. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in Croatia call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Zagreb.

Travel advice: for information and advice on travelling to Croatia see travel advice for Croatia

Get a visa

The British embassy can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

Marriage and civil partnerships

We can issue certificates of no impediment and certificates of custom and law. In some circumstances we can register a civil partnership for same sex couples. For information on marriage and civil partnerships in Croatia and to access these services see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in Croatia. You can’t register a birth or death at the embassy or consulate.


If you are living, or planning to live in Croatia, read our guidance on access to healthcare and see our list of major medical facilities.

Bereavement support

If the death occurred in Croatia and you’re still in the country, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad as well as our bereavement guide for Croatia. We provide a list of local funeral directors.

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial and documentary services

We offer notarial services, including making certified copies of documents such as passports. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Legalisation services

Foreign authorities may require official confirmation from the UK government that documents are genuine. Contact the Legalisation Office in the UK to get a UK public document legalised.

We can legalise documents originating in Croatia at the embassy in Zagreb. Read our guide to notarial and documentary services for more information.

Local service providers

Use our lists of local suppliers and services if you need help in Croatia:

Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British embassy or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing peopleand kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we can provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

General information on living in Croatia

What the embassy cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Croatia

Our people

Andrew Dalgleish

Andrew Dalgleish

British Ambassador to Croatia

Contact us

British Embassy Zagreb

Ivana Lučića 4
10000 Zagreb

Access and opening times