Chargé d’Affaires, Croatia
We develop and maintain relations between the United Kingdom and Croatia. We are working with Croatia as a new partner and ally within the EU on bilateral, regional and global issues.
We encourage and support Croatia’s commitment to build on its pre accession to unlock the benefits of successful EU membership. We work on increasing trade and investment opportunities and encouraging a more open investment environment. In the run-up to Croatia’s EU membership, we worked on a number of twinning projects in which British experts and institutions assisted in various aspects of Croatia’s progress towards membership.
We work with Croatia’s armed forces to share expertise, educate personnel and further develop stronger ties between the countries ensuring that Croatia is a valued and trusted partner in maintaining peace.
We have a consulate in Split. The Croatian Coast is proving to be more and more popular for British tourists every year—more than 400,000 British tourists visit the country every year. Consular officials assist British tourists with a wide range of issues.
Emergency consular assistance (24 hours)
For emergency assistance, such as in the event of the death, assault, arrest or hospitalisation of a British national, call the Embassy on +385 1 6009 100 and follow the instructions to be connected with consular officers.
Emergency travel documents
If your passport is lost, stolen, expired or otherwise unavailable, and you need to travel in the near future, then we may be able to provide an emergency travel document (ETD).
If you are due to travel in the next 48 hours, you should contact us immediately on the emergency consular assistance number above.
For all other applications, please check what you must bring with you and then make an appointment with us using the links below.
Please call us for advice before making an appointment if:
- you have never applied for a British passport before
- you are applying on behalf of a child.
An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country.
Visit our travel advice page for Croatia for information and news updates, to ensure you stay safe and avoid problems whilst living or visiting the country.
For information on how to apply for your first passport or to renew an existing passport, please visit the overseas passport section of this website.
Please note that our consulates can’t deal with individual enquiries about passport applications.
This Embassy does not deal with visa matters. For information on whether you need a visa to travel to the United Kingdom and how to apply, please see the UK Visas & Immigration page.
Healthcare in Croatia
Death of a British national
Notarial and documentary services
Where local notaries can provide services, the British Embassy does not provide them because in many cases local lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.
Read more about the notarial and documentary services we do provide, including how to book an appointment.
UK law says we have to charge for some services. See our list of consular fees.
Births, deaths and marriages
Information on how you can register a birth or death which occurred overseas, and legal documents for couples marrying or entering into civil partnerships abroad.
Legalisation of documents
Foreign authorities may require official confirmation that your UK public documentation is genuine. Find out more from the UK Legalisation Service.
Lawyers and interpreters
A list of English speaking lawyers and a list of interpreters who may be able to help you with legal advice or official translations in Croatia. Please note that inclusion on this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Embassy or the UK government.
British Nationals detained or imprisoned in Croatia
The Embassy can provide help if you are arrested abroad.
The Embassy can provide support following the detention of a British National and provides a prisoner information guide to help them and their families understand the local system.
Living in Croatia
Useful information for British nationals living in Croatia, including where to find services provided by others.
How else we can help
In addition to the services listed above, for British nationals needing emergency consular assistance, we can:
- provide information about transferring funds
- offer support to people with mental illness and their families
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child protection and abductions, kidnappings or when someone is missing abroad, and how to make a missing persons report
- provide consular assistance to British nationals who are victims of rape or serious sexual assault or any other serious crime
- help in contacting your family or friends when you are not able to do so yourself because you are ill, in hospital, have been arrested, or find yourself in difficulty
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
For people needing assistance on the above matters please contact the Consular Section by calling us on +385 1 6009 100 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What our Embassy cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money
- make travel arrangements for you, find you work, accommodation, or make business arrangements on your behalf
- get involved in private disputes over property, employment, commercial or other matters
- renew or replace a full British passport
Deputy Head of Mission to Croatia
British Consulate Split
Obala Hrvatskog Narodnog Preporoda 10/III
Telephone +385 (1) 6009 100
Fax +385 (1) 6009 298