Your partner or child can apply to join or stay with you in the UK if:
- you were separated when you were forced to leave your country
- you’ve been given asylum or 5 years’ humanitarian protection but don’t yet have British citizenship
Your partner or child can’t apply if:
- you haven’t received a decision on your asylum application
- you’re under 18
If their application is successful, your family members will be allowed to come to or stay in the UK with the same permission (‘leave’) as you.
Your partner and any children must meet the following requirements.
Your partner is someone you’re in a genuine relationship with. You must be able to prove one of the following:
- you’re married
- you’re in a civil partnership
If you’re not married or in a civil partnership, your partner can apply if:
- you were given refugee status or humanitarian protection on or after 9 October 2006
- you’ve lived together in a relationship like in a marriage or civil partnership for 2 years and you’ve been given asylum or humanitarian protection after 9 October 2006
You and your partner must intend to live together and continue your relationship after they apply.
Your child is:
- under the age of 18
- going to live with you and your partner
- going to be supported by you without using public funds
- not married or in a civil partnership
- not in full-time employment
Apply outside the UK
You must apply online for family reunion.
You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
You can’t apply online if you’re applying from North Korea.
Apply in the UK
Your partner or child can apply to stay with you in the UK if all the following are true:
- you have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
- they’re making their first application to stay with you and they’re already in the UK
- they can prove their relationship pre-dates your departure from your home country because of persecution
You must apply in writing by letter. Send it to:
UKVI Family Reunion Team
There’s no fee for applying for family reunion for eligible family members.