Settlement: refugee or humanitarian protection

Family applying as dependants

If you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection, your family members can apply for settlement on the same form as you if they’re already in the UK.

Family members are:

  • your partner (husband, wife, civil partner or the person you’ve been in a genuine relationship with for 2 years before applying to settle)
  • your child or children under 18


Your family members must either have been given permission to be in the UK with you:

  • as your dependant, at the same time you were granted asylum or Humanitarian Protection
  • using the family reunion route which didn’t give them settlement immediately

A child of yours born in the UK who is not a British citizen is also eligible.

You need to provide evidence of your relationship - check the application form.

Children over 18

You can only include your children over 18 in your settlement application if:

  • they were granted as your dependant when you got your original grant of asylum and leave to enter or remain
  • they were granted leave to enter or remain by applying for family reunion

Other exceptions

You can’t include a partner or other dependant who:

  • already has permission to be in the UK in another category
  • is currently in the UK without permission


Include your family members on your application.