Family applying as dependants
If you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection, your family members can apply for settlement on the same form as you if they’re already in the UK.
Family members are:
- your partner (husband, wife, civil partner or the person you’ve been in a genuine relationship with for 2 years before applying to settle)
- your child or children under 18
Your family members must either have been given permission to be in the UK with you:
- as your dependant, at the same time you were granted asylum or Humanitarian Protection
- using the family reunion route which did not give them settlement immediately
A child of yours born in the UK who is not a British citizen is also eligible.
You need to provide evidence of your relationship - check the application form.
Children over 18
You can only include your children over 18 in your settlement application if:
- they were granted as your dependant when you got your original grant of asylum and leave to enter or remain
- they were granted leave to enter or remain by applying for family reunion
You cannot include a partner or other dependant who:
- already has permission to be in the UK in another category
- is currently in the UK without permission
You can apply online.
You can apply with form SET(P) instead. Send it to the address on the form. Check the application form to find out which supporting documents you need to provide.
You can’t apply in person - you must apply online or by post.
Get help using a computer to apply online
You can get help with:
- accessing a computer or the internet
- finding the right information on GOV.UK
You cannot get advice on:
- whether you’re eligible to apply
- what information to put in your application
- an application you’ve already made
After you submit your application, your family members will be asked to provide their fingerprints and a digital photo (called ‘biometric information’).
Any children 6 and over who are applying on your form must also provide biometric information.
When to apply
You should apply during the last month of your current permission to be in the UK.
There’s no fee for applying for settlement for a family member.