Settlement: refugee or humanitarian protection
5. Family applying as dependants
If you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection, your family members can apply for settlement on the same form as you if they’re already in the UK.
Family members are:
- your partner (husband, wife, civil partner or the person you’ve been in a genuine relationship with for 2 years before applying to settle)
- your child or children under 18
Your family members must either have been given permission to be in the UK with you:
- as your dependant, at the same time you were granted asylum or Humanitarian Protection
- using the family reunion route which didn’t give them settlement immediately
A child of yours born in the UK who is not a British citizen is also eligible.
You need to provide evidence of your relationship - check the application form.
Children over 18
You can only include your children over 18 in your settlement application if:
- they were granted as your dependant when you got your original grant of asylum and leave to enter or remain
- they were granted leave to enter or remain by applying for family reunion
You can’t include a partner or other dependant who:
- already has permission to be in the UK in another category
- is currently in the UK without permission
Include your family members on your application.