Indefinite leave to remain (refugee, humanitarian protection or Discretionary Leave)

Skip to contents of guide


You should apply during the last month of your current permission to be in the UK.

You must apply online. The form you use depends on your situation.

Once you’ve started your application, you can save your form and complete it later.

You’ll be told what documents you need to provide when you apply. You’ll usually get a decision within 6 months.

If you have refugee status or humanitarian protection

Apply as refugee or person with humanitarian protection.

There’s no fee to apply.

If you have Discretionary Leave

The form you use to apply depends on why you got Discretionary Leave.

You either:

It costs £2,389 for each person applying.

Get a faster decision on your application

If you got Discretionary Leave after your non-asylum application was refused, you can choose to use the super priority service to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

It costs an extra £800 to use this service. You’ll get a decision either:

  • by the end of the next working day after providing your biometric information, if your appointment is on a weekday
  • 2 working days after providing your biometric information, if your appointment is at the weekend

Working days are Monday to Friday, not including bank holidays.

Get help to apply online

You can get help with completing the online form if you:

  • do not feel confident using a computer or mobile device
  • do not have internet access

You can only use this service if you’re applying in the UK.

You cannot get immigration advice through this service.

Providing biometric information and supporting documents

When you apply, you’ll be asked to make an appointment at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).

Any children aged 6 and over who are applying on your form must also provide biometric information.

You’ll also need to submit your supporting documents. You can:

  • upload them to the online service
  • have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment

You must not travel outside the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you get a decision. Your application will be withdrawn if you do.