Apply for a Home Office travel document


You can apply for a document to travel outside the UK if you’re not British and cannot use or get a passport from your country.

Before you travel, check that the country you want to visit will accept a travel document and if you need a visa.


You must be living in the UK for one of the following reasons:

  • you have permission to stay as a refugee or stateless person
  • you have humanitarian protection for a limited time after a failed asylum application
  • you have discretionary leave for a limited time after a failed asylum application
  • you’re settled here permanently (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)

You must show that you’ve formally applied for and been unreasonably refused a passport by authorities in your country, unless you have permission to be in the UK as a refugee or stateless person.

You’ll need to provide evidence that supports your application - use original documents, not photocopies.

Types of travel documents

There are 4 different types you can apply for, depending on your status.

Your status Type of travel document Adult fee Child (15 or under) fee Fee if born before 1 September 1929
Refugee Convention travel document £75 £49 £0
Stateless Stateless person’s document £75 £49 £0
You want to leave and not come back One-way document (also known as an IS137) £75 £49 £75
Refused a passport by your own national authorities Certificate of travel £280 £141 £280

You will not get a refund if you withdraw your application or if it is refused.