Book the Life in the UK Test
This is the only official government service for booking the Life in the UK Test. You need to take the test as part of your application for British citizenship or settlement in the UK.
You must book your Life in the UK Test online at least 3 days in advance. It costs £50.
There are over 30 test centres in the UK - choose one of the 5 closest to where you live.
If the centre is not close to where you live, you will not be allowed to sit the test and you will not get a refund. You must bring proof of your address to the test.
Prepare for the test
You’ll be tested on information in the official handbook for the Life in the UK Test - you should study this book to prepare for the test.
You’ll have 45 minutes to answer 24 questions about British traditions and customs.
Book the test
You need all of the following to book a test:
- email address
- debit or credit card
- an accepted form of ID
Accepted forms of ID
You can use one of the following as ID to book the test:
- passport - it can be out of date
- UK photocard driving licence - full or provisional
- convention travel document (CTD), certificate of identity document (CID) or stateless person document (SPD)
- EU identity card
- immigration status document endorsed with a UK residence permit that has a photo - it can be out of date
- biometric residence permit
Check the ‘Identification requirements’ document to make sure the ID you have is acceptable.
Email email@example.com for help if you do not have any of these documents.
The name you give on your test booking must be an exact match with the name on the ID you use to book the test.
You must include any middle names on the booking form or your test will be rejected and you will not get a refund.
If you have a disability
You can make special requests when you book your test, for example if you have a disability and need extra equipment or help accessing the centre.
Contact the Life in the UK Test Helpline if you need help with your booking.
Life in the UK Test Helpline
Telephone: 0800 015 4245
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
When you do not need to take the test
You do not need to take the test if you:
- are under 18
- are 65 or over
- have passed it before - for example, if you’re applying to become a citizen and already passed it as part of your settlement application
- have a long-term physical or mental condition - you must provide either a form or letter from a doctor confirming your physical or mental condition