You might need to prove your knowledge of the English language if you’re 18 or over and applying for citizenship or to settle in the UK (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

You can prove it by having either:

You do not need to prove your knowledge of English in certain circumstances.

Your citizenship or settlement application will be refused if you send the wrong qualifications.

If you need more time

If you’re already in the UK you may be able to extend your permission to stay, so that you can prove your knowledge of English.

Check the guide for your current visa for instructions on how to apply for an extension.