Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling

If your degree was taught or researched in English

You can prove your knowledge of English by having a degree that was taught or researched in English.

If you have a degree from a UK university, you only need your original degree certificate.

If your degree isn’t from a UK university, you’ll need your original degree certificate and one of the following:

  • an original letter or certificate from UK NARIC confirming the equivalent level of your degree, plus an official letter from your university with your name and degree confirming that your degree was taught in English
  • an original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada)

If you’ve lost your certificate or you’re waiting for graduation

You must have proof that you’ve passed your degree. This can be either:

  • an original and official transcript with your name, the name of the institution, your degree and confirmation of the award
  • an original and official letter from your university confirming it can’t reissue your certificate or when it will be issued

Your letter must include:

  • your name
  • your degree
  • the date the degree was or will be awarded