Family visas: apply from outside the UK
You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.
You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, but you should check if you need a Standard Visitor visa.
Your family member can:
- be a British citizen
- have settled in the UK
- have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:
- join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
- join your parent
- come to look after your child
- come to be looked after by family
You may need to apply in a different way if:
- your partner is from the EEA
- you’re inside the UK
- you want to reunite with a partner or parent who has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK
How long it takes
You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks. Check the guide to processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
|Joining your partner or parent||£1,464|
|Coming to look after your child||£1,464|
|Adult who needs to be looked after by a relative||£3,250|
What you can and can’t do with your visa
You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:
- work (you can’t work if you’ve got a visa to get married or to become civil partners)
You can’t get public funds for yourself and any dependants.
Extend your stay
You may be able to apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK permanently.