Guidance and regulation

3,000 results


Environment Agency (EA)

sorted by Most viewed
  • Access the public register for environmental information

    Access the Environment Agency's public register of data.

  • Register your waste exemptions: environmental permits (England)

    How to register or renew a waste exemption, including agricultural waste, WEEE, bulk exemptions and linear networks.

  • Prevent Japanese knotweed from spreading

    How to identify, prevent spread and dispose of Japanese knotweed.

  • Flood risk assessment for planning applications

    Find out when you need to do a flood risk assessment as part of your planning application, how to complete one and how it's processed.

  • General binding rules: small sewage discharge to a surface water

    Rules you must follow if your septic tank or small sewage discharge treatment plant releases (discharges) liquid to a surface water.

  • General binding rules: small sewage discharge to the ground

    Rules you must follow if your septic tank or small sewage discharge treatment plant releases (discharges) liquid to the ground.

  • ESOS

    Find out if you qualify for the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS), how to comply, and about ESOS phase 2.

  • The Thames Barrier

    How the Thames Barrier works, and when it is scheduled to close.

  • Stop invasive non-native plants from spreading

    How to identify, control and dispose of invasive non-native plants that can harm the environment.

  • Discharges to surface water and groundwater: environmental permits

    When you need an environmental permit to discharge liquid effluent or waste water to surface water or onto the ground, and how to apply.

  • Flood risk activities: environmental permits

    Check if you need to apply for an environmental permit, formerly known as a flood defence consent, and get the forms you need.

  • Check if you need an environmental permit

    Permits for installations, waste or mining waste operations, water discharge or groundwater activities, or work on or near a main river or sea defence.

  • Waste classification technical guidance

    Technical guidance on how to assess and classify waste.

  • Environmental Permitting Charging Scheme 2019

    Environmental Permitting Charging Scheme and tables of charges.

  • River Thames: bridges, locks and facilities for boaters

    Details of bridge heights and dimensions, locks, facilities and camp sites for boaters on the River Thames.

  • Owning a watercourse

    Your responsibilities and rules to follow for watercourses on or near your property, and permissions you need to do work around them.

  • Waste: environmental permits

    How to apply for standard rules and bespoke permits for using, treating, storing and disposing of waste, and check when you do not need a permit.

  • Waste exemption: U1 use of waste in construction

    This exemption allows you to use suitable waste rather than virgin raw material or material which has ceased to be waste - for example by complying with a Quality Protocol.

  • Flood risk assessments: climate change allowances

    Find out when and how to use climate change allowances in flood risk assessments and strategic flood risk assessments.

  • Oil storage regulations for businesses

    How to store oil, design standards for tanks and containers, where to locate and how to protect them, and capacity of bunds and drip trays.