You make Class 2 National Insurance contributions if you’re self-employed to qualify for benefits like the State Pension.

Most people pay the contributions as part of their Self Assessment tax bill.

You cannot currently pay by cheque through the post because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you do not pay through Self Assessment

You do not pay through Self Assessment if you’re any of the following:

  • an examiner, moderator, invigilator or person who set exam questions
  • running a businesses involving land or property
  • a minister of religion who does not receive a salary or stipend
  • living abroad and paying voluntary Class 2 contributions
  • a person who makes investments - but not as a business and without getting a fee or commission
  • a non-UK resident who’s self-employed in the UK
  • working abroad

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) will send you a payment request by the end of October - call the newly self-employed helpline if you do not get one.

Pay now

You can no longer pay at the Post Office.

How long it takes

Make sure your payment reaches HMRC by the deadline. The time you need to allow depends on how you pay.

You can make same or next day payments:

You can pay within 3 days by BACS.

You can pay within 21 working days by Direct Debit if you have not set one up before.

If the deadline falls on a weekend or bank holiday, make sure your payment reaches HMRC on the last working day before it (unless you’re paying by Faster Payments).

If you miss the deadline

You might have to pay more to fill the gap in your National Insurance record. HMRC will write to you to tell you how much you need to pay.