You usually pay 2 types of National Insurance if you’re self-employed:

You work out your profits by deducting your expenses from your self-employed income.

How much you pay

Class Rate for tax year 2014 to 2015
Class 2 £2.75 a week
Class 4 9% on profits between £7,956 and £41,865
2% on profits over £41,865

There will be new rates from 6 April 2015. You can also see National Insurance rates for past tax years.

How to register

If you haven’t done a Self Assessment tax return before, register your business with HMRC - you’ll register for Class 2 National Insurance at the same time.

If you’ve done a tax return before, either:

You don’t need to register for Class 4 National Insurance.

Register to pay Class 2 National Insurance as soon as you start working for yourself. You may have to pay a penalty if you don’t tell HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) you’re self-employed.

How to pay

Pay your Class 2 National Insurance after HMRC sends you a payment request in April.

Pay Class 4 National Insurance through your Self Assessment tax return.

From 6 April 2015, you won’t need to register for Class 2 or Class 4 National Insurance - your payments will be added to your bill after you’ve filed your Self Assessment tax return.