Find out more on the Jobcentre Plus office search
Find out what you can get and if your business is eligible
You must be aged 18 or over, have a business idea and get one of the following benefits:
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income Support as a lone parent
- Employment and Support Allowance, if you’re in the work-related activity group
A Jobcentre Plus adviser can refer you to the scheme as soon as you get a qualifying benefit.
Help you can get
You could get:
- a loan to help with start-up costs
- a weekly allowance paid over 26 weeks (up to a total of £1,274)
The loan has to be paid back, the allowance does not.
Any money you get does not affect your Housing Benefit, tax credits, Income Tax, or Access to Work grant.
You could get:
- a mentor to help you develop your business idea and write a business plan
- ongoing support from a mentor in the early months of trading
How it works
A specialist will assess your business idea and if it has potential you’ll be signed up to the scheme, get financial support and a business mentor.
You can’t get the financial support if your business plan isn’t approved.
The Department for Work and Pensions has more information about the New Enterprise Allowance.
The Jobcentre Plus adviser will explain:
- how New Enterprise Allowance works
- who will assess the business idea
- who provides the practical support
- what Jobcentre Plus expects from you
- how much the allowance will be and how it will be paid
- about the loan
- what will happen when the allowance ends
Contact your local Jobcentre Plus for more information about New Enterprise Allowance.