Starting or running your own business
You can get help to:
- start your own business
- develop your business, if you’re already self-employed
You can get help from:
- local organisations - ask your Jobcentre Plus work coach for more information
- government-backed business support schemes
If you get Universal Credit
You might be able to get a 12 month ‘start up period’ if you’re self-employed.
During a start up period, no matter how much you earn:
- your Universal Credit payments are based on your monthly earnings
- you do not need to look for other work
- you’ll get support from a work coach who’s trained to work with the self-employed
Your current work coach can tell you if you’re eligible.
Read more about claiming Universal Credit when you’re self-employed.
If you already have a business that’s less than 2 years old
You might be able to get a Start Up Loan.
If you’re disabled or you have a health condition
You may be able to get extra support through an Access to Work grant.