4. Starting your own business

Your Jobcentre Plus work coach can tell you about help you can get to start up your own business.

New Enterprise Allowance

You may be able to get New Enterprise Allowance if you’re over 18 and you can show that you have a business idea that could work. You need to be getting one of the following benefits:

You’ll be given a business mentor, who will provide advice and support on:

Once you’ve made a business plan and it’s been approved, you can get:

  • a weekly allowance worth up to £1,274 over 26 weeks
  • a loan to help with start-up costs

You can get extra support through an Access to Work grant if you have a disability, health or mental health condition and you’re getting New Enterprise Allowance.