To find out if you’re paying the right amount of Income Tax, use the tax checker on the HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website.
You need to be:
You need details of:
- your earnings, before and after tax - get this from your P60
- any savings, before and after tax - get this from your bank statements
- any Gift Aid donations you’ve made to charity
The tax checker will give you an estimate.
Who can’t use the tax checker
You can’t use the tax checker if:
- you’re entitled to claim Married Couple’s Allowance
- you were born on or before 5 April 1948 and get the higher allowances
- your income is over £100,000
- you have other taxable income, eg from dividends and trusts
- you get taxable state benefits
- you’re self-employed