Rural Development Programme for England: LEADER funding
LEADER funding is available to local businesses, communities, farmers, foresters and land managers. Find out how to apply for funding through Local Action Groups (LAGs).
You can apply to your Local Action Group (LAG) for funding for projects that create jobs, help your business to grow, and benefit the rural economy, under the LEADER scheme. LEADER funding is delivered via LEADER LAGs and is available to local businesses, communities, farmers, foresters and land managers.
A total of £138 million is available in the England between 2015 and 2020 under the scheme. LEADER is part of the RDPE. It is a French acronym (Liaison Entre Actions de Développement de l’Économie Rurale) which roughly translates as ‘Liaison among Actors in Rural Economic Development’.
What projects are eligible
A LAG is made up of people from the local community and the local public and private sector. Each LAG decides which projects they will fund in their area. This depends on their priorities but all projects must support one or more of the 6 LEADER priorities. These are to:
- support micro and small businesses and farm diversification
- boost rural tourism
- increase farm productivity
- increase forestry productivity
- provide rural services
- provide cultural and heritage activities
How to apply
To find out more, and to apply, you should contact your LAG, or check their website, for information about:
- funding in your area
- funding priorities – including the local development strategy
- how to apply for funding
- past projects
- LAG members
Contact your local action group
Find your LAG and contact details on the map or in the list.
Map of Approved LEADER Groups (PDF, 2.21MB, 1 page)
Approved Leader groups (PDF, 672KB, 21 pages)
In addition, LEADER and LEP boundaries have also been included on http://www.magic.gov.uk/MAGIC. This website provides geographical information and is presented as an interactive map which can be explored using the various tools included.
Published: 3 March 2015
Updated: 15 June 2016
- Updated list of approved leader groups.
- Updated list of LAGs
- Updated content and list of LEADER groups
- Updated list of LAGs
- Adding map
- Update to the list of LEADER Local Action Groups
- Updated list of LEADER Local Sction Groups in England
- Added link to MAGIC website and updated Approved LEADER Groups for RDPE 2014-2020.
- First published.