- British Cattle Movement Service
- Part of:
- Guidance on keeping cattle, bison and buffalo in Great Britain and Cattle movements
- 6 May 2014
- Applies to:
- England, Scotland, and Wales
Find out what you must do as a show secretary when animals are moved on or off the showground.
Show secretaries must report all cattle movements on and off showgrounds to the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS). The information must arrive with BCMS within 3 days of the movement date.
Your responsibility as a show secretary
When an animal moves on and off a showground:
- the keeper who is bringing animals to the show must report the movement off their holding
- you must report the movements on and off the showground in the same way as a keeper by:
- filling in the necessary details on the passport or movement card
- sending the information to BCMS
- after the show the keeper must report the movements back on to their holding
If an animal is moved on and off the showground on the same day, this is a same-day movement, and you record it in the same way as if the animal were moving through a market.
Record same-day movements on a passport
If the animal has a passport with a movement summary, record the same-day on and off movements in a single action, by:
- sticking the showground’s bar code label in the box marked ‘Place your holding address here’
- entering the date of the movement in the box marked ‘date of movement off or through market’
- signing in the box below the date
Movements on different days must be recorded as separate ‘on’ and ‘off’ movements on the movement summary.
Report same-day movements using a movement card
If the animal has a chequebook style passport, report the same-day on and off movements in a single action using a movement card, by:
- sticking the showground’s bar-code label in the box marked ‘Holding’
- ticking the ‘Market Movement’ box (do not tick the on and off boxes) and
- entering the movement date
- signing the card
- tearing the card out of the passport and posting it to BCMS
As always, movements on different days must be reported as separate ‘on’ and ‘off’ movements (so you’ll need a second movement card).
Published: 6 May 2014