Report lost or stolen cattle

What to do if any of your cattle, bison or buffalo are lost or stolen, and if you get them back.

You must report any loss or theft of an animal to the police and to the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) and inform them if the animal is recovered.

If an animal is lost or stolen

You must:

  • report the loss or theft to the police and obtain an incident number
  • post the animal’s passport or certificate of registration to arrive with BCMS within 7 days of becoming aware of the loss or theft, at the following address:

Curwen Road
CA14 2DD

You should also make a note of the date of the loss or theft in your holding register.

If the animal is recovered

You must:

  • confirm this in writing with BCMS at the address above
  • inform the police that the animal has been recovered
  • update your farm records to show the animal has been recovered

BCMS will send you a replacement passport.

Published 6 May 2014