Hazel dormice: survey or research licence (level 2)

Get a licence to take, disturb or possess hazel dormice when doing surveys, research or conservation work (licence CL10b).



This licence allows you to temporarily mark dormice by fur-clipping and to handle dormice in:

  • nests
  • nest tubes
  • nest boxes

You must release the dormice where they were captured as soon as you’ve examined them.

You need a separate personal licence to do anything not covered by this licence, like trapping or translocating dormice.

Register with Natural England

This is a class licence - you don’t need to apply for it but you must register with Natural England using the survey or research licence for protected species form (A29) first.

You don’t need to send in this form if you have a personal survey licence for hazel dormice.


You usually need to complete a reference to support a survey or research licence form when you register for this licence if:

  • you haven’t held a licence for the species or a similar species for the last 3 years
  • you have a licence but want to add new methods

You need more experience or training to get a level 2 survey licence.

Report action taken

Natural England will contact you in January or February each year with details of how to report your actions and remain registered.