Get a licence to survey great crested newts for research or conservation work (licence CL08).
PDF, 284KB, 5 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This licence allows you to survey great crested newts using:
- aquatic funnel traps (including bottle traps)
This licence does not cover pitfall traps (you need a level 2 licence for this) or box traps.
All great crested newts must be set free where they’re captured as soon as you’ve finished examining them.
You need a separate mitigation licence to do anything not covered by this licence.
Register with Natural England
This is a class licence – you don’t need to apply for it but you must register with Natural England using form A29 first.
You usually need to complete a reference to support a survey or research licence form when you register for this licence if:
- you haven’t held a licence for the species or a similar species for the last 3 years
- you have a licence but want to add new methods
Report action taken
You must return a report action taken under a great crested newt survey or research licence form (LR-CL0809) no later than 31 October each year, even if you’ve taken no action.
This form is also used to renew your registration.
Published: 6 October 2014
Updated: 1 January 2017
- Annual licence update 2017.
- Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2016.
- Added updated class licence. New version valid from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
- First published.