Get a licence to take, disturb or possess great crested newts when doing surveys, research or conservation work (licence CL09).
This licence allows you to survey great crested newts using:
- pitfall traps - you must notify Natural England before using these traps (not covered by level 1 licences)
- aquatic funnel traps (including bottle traps)
This licence does not cover box traps.
All great crested newts must be set free where they’re captured as soon as you’ve finished examining them.
You need a separate personal licence to do anything not covered by this licence.
Using pitfall traps
When using pitfall traps you should:
- notify Natural England at least 5 working days before installing fences and traps using the ‘Pitfall traps: notify Natural England before use’ form (A29-1) available on this page
- only use a maximum of 20 metre fence line and 15 pitfall traps per site
- avoid obstructing or significantly disrupting natural migration patterns
- not use pitfall traps over the winter
- not ring-fence ponds
- not leave fences in place for more than 20 days
- check pitfall traps at least once a day between 6am and 11am
- make sure fence and trap designs comply with guidelines
Register with Natural England
This is a class licence – you don’t need to apply for it but you must register with Natural England using form A29 first.
You usually need to complete a reference to support a survey or research licence form when you register for this licence if:
- you haven’t held a licence for the species or a similar species for the last 3 years
- you have a licence but want to add new methods
Report action taken
You must return a report action taken under a great crested newt survey or research licence form (LR-CL0809) no later than 31 October each year, even if you’ve taken no action.
This form is also used to renew your registration.