Bats: survey or research licence (level 2)
Get a licence to take or disturb bats using torches, endoscopes and nets when doing surveys, research or conservation work (licence CL18).
PDF, 235KB, 6 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This licence allows you to disturb or capture bats by hand or by using:
- static hand-held nets
You can disturb but not handle hibernating bats.
You need a:
- level 1 licence if you only need to use a torch
- level 3 licence to use mist nets and acoustic lures
- level 4 licence to use harp traps
- separate personal licence to do anything not covered by this licence (for example to use rings and tags)
Register with Natural England
This is a class licence – you don’t need to apply for it but you must register with Natural England using the survey or research protected species form (A34) first.
You don’t need to send in this form if you have a personal survey licence for bats.
You usually need to send a reference form when you register for this licence if:
- you haven’t held a licence for the species or a similar species for the last 3 years
- you have a licence but want to add new methods
Report action taken
You must return a report of action taken under a bat survey or research licence form no later than 30 April each year, even if you’ve taken no action.
This form is also used to renew your registration.
Published: 6 October 2014
Updated: 1 January 2017
- Annual licence update 2017.
- Replaced licence with new version issued 1 January 2016.
- new version of CL18 valid from 1 January to 31 December 2015.
- First published.