© Crown copyright 2020
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-restarting-driver-and-rider-training-and-tests/coronavirus-restarting-driver-and-rider-training-and-tests
Stay up to date
This page tells you about the restart of driver and rider training and tests.
It will be updated if anything changes.
Driver and rider training and testing were suspended in March 2020 because of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
They have now restarted in England, Wales and Scotland.
This guide is for approved driving instructors (ADIs), motorcycle trainers, and lorry and bus (vocational) trainers. It explains:
- how you should work safely during coronavirus
- what support is available for businesses
There’s different information for Northern Ireland.
1. Working safely during coronavirus
The government has published guidance about working safely during coronavirus. It includes:
- guidance for people who work in vehicles
- cleaning your workplace safely
- keeping records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace
Detailed guidance from representative organisations
Representative organisations have published detailed guidance about working safely during coronavirus.
You should check the detailed guidance for the type of training you provide:
- car driving instructors - from the National Associations Strategic Partnership (NASP)
- motorcycle trainers - from MCIA Ride and the Driving Instructors Association
- vocational trainers (PDF, 165KB) - from the National Vocational Driving Instructors Register
2. Business support
Coronavirus support is available to businesses.
3. How theory tests and driving tests will work
Sending information to the NHS Test and Trace service
DVSA will share your details and your pupil’s details with the relevant NHS service if a DVSA member of staff you had close contact with both:
- develops coronavirus symptoms within 48 hours of your driving test
- tests positive for coronavirus after their symptoms developed
There’s more information in the privacy notices for: