If you’re an instructor or trainer, use this service to:
- book car, motorcycle and other types of driving tests for your pupils
- change, swap or cancel other types of appointments
- confirm your pupil’s details before the test
- manage your availability for car driving tests
Because of coronavirus (COVID-19) there are new rules your pupil must follow when they take a test.
If your pupil cannot wear a face covering
When booking a test or confirming your pupil’s details, you must say if your pupil cannot wear a face covering during their driving test. They must have a good reason for this.
Their test will be cancelled if they come for their test without a face covering and you did not say that they could not wear one when you booked it.
If your pupil cannot wear a face covering, they may not be able to take their test at the test centre of your choice.
How to say your pupil cannot wear a face covering
How you do this depends on whether you’re using the online service to:
- book a test with your pupil’s details
- confirm your pupil’s details for a test you’ve already booked
If you’re booking a test with your pupil’s details, select ‘Special learning or educational needs’ when asked if your pupil has any special requirements.
Select this even if they cannot wear a face covering for a physical reason.
In the ‘Additional information’ box, say that your pupil cannot wear a face covering and give the reason.
If you’re confirming your pupil’s details before their test, give the reason why they cannot wear a face covering by sending a ‘request to the DVSA’ (the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency). You can send this as a general request.
What counts as a good reason
Good reasons are things like:
- having a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability
- wearing it would cause them severe distress
Wearing glasses does not count as a good reason.
Book and manage tests online
You need your:
- Government Gateway user ID and password
- credit or debit card, or pre-funded account
- pupil’s driving licence number when you book a car test, or confirm their details for other types of tests
This service is available from 6am to midnight.
Before you start
You can book these types of driving tests:
- motorcycle (module 1 and module 2)
- lorry and bus, including the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) part 3 (driving ability) and part 4 (practical demonstration) tests
You must be registered to book tests.
Book without a pupil’s details
You can book some tests up to 10 weeks in advance without giving your pupil’s details. This is known as ‘trainer booking’.
You can only do this for these types of tests:
- motorcycle (module 1 and module 2)
- lorry and bus, including the Driver CPC tests
You must confirm the pupil’s details by 4pm at least one clear working day before the test. Working days do not include Sundays and public holidays.
Example Confirm the pupil’s details by 4pm on Wednesday if the test is on Friday.
Change or cancel a test
You must give at least 3 clear working days’ notice to change or cancel a test, or you’ll have to pay again. Working days do not include Sundays and public holidays.
Example Cancel the test by the end of Monday if the test is on Friday.
You do not have to pay if you need to change or cancel a test at short notice because of coronavirus. For example, if your pupil cannot take the test because they are self-isolating.
If you regularly cancel tests
You may not be allowed to book trainer booking tests if you cancel 20% or more of your tests within 10 clear working days of the test.
Help with your bookings
Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) to get help booking driving tests for your pupils.