Book your practical driving test for:
- lorries, buses and coaches
- approved driving instructor (ADI) part 2 and 3 tests
This service is available from 6am to 11:40pm.
This page is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).
This service will be unavailable from 6pm on Thursday 21 February to 6am on Friday 22 February.
Start now on the driving test booking service
Before you start
You need your:
- UK driving licence number
- credit or debit card
- driving instructor’s personal reference number if you want to check they’re available
You can check the cost of your driving test before you start.
You must have lived in England, Wales or Scotland for at least 185 days in the last 12 months before the day you take your test.
There’s a different service to book your driving test in Northern Ireland.
You can check for earlier appointments after you’ve booked. These are sometimes called ‘cancellation appointments’.
Book a test to upgrade your licence
You must call the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you need an ‘upgrade’ test, such as automatic to manual car, or medium-sized lorry to a large lorry.
DVSA driving test booking support
Telephone: 0300 200 1122
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges
When you don’t need a theory test
You must usually have passed your theory test before booking.
You don’t need a theory test to book a:
- tractor test
- test to upgrade from automatic to manual
- test to progress through the motorcycle categories (progressive access)
- car and trailer test
- lorry and trailer test
- bus and trailer test
- large lorry test, when you’ve got a medium lorry licence
- large bus test, when you’ve got a medium bus licence
Help with your booking
Contact DVSA to get help booking your test.